SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:01:45 +1000
On Thursday, July 19, 2001 5:35 PM, Carl G. Heinzl, wrote

(snip)
> > > "Smile and Forget!" is less time-consuming than, "Wait and Hate!" :-)

> Besides, it take what - around 40 some muscles to frown and only 7 to
> smile...
> it's a LOT easier to smile!

That it is!  :-)

(snip of - hopefully - meeting up with Crusty and 'Crew'!  (Including, of
course, Elisa, who's a member of that most exclusive club, "Satan's
Kippers"!) :-)

> BTW, my new light just arrived - it's sweet - EE Pro 4 HID - small,
> light
> (only 9 lbs)...

9 lbs hits a raw nerve with me!  It's the exact weight of a bolt-action, Lee
Enfield .303 rifle that has a muzzle velocity of - from memory 2840 ft per
sec. - and an effective range of 1800 yards.  However!  The reason that I
know it so well is that I once had to stand in a garbage bin in the middle
of a parade ground with one of those cursed things stuck over my shoulder
and screaming at the top of my lungs, "I am rubbish!".  (Apparently I'd
upset the Gunnery Petty Officer's sensibilities when I suggested that he was
the best person to perform the un-natural act that he suggested had resulted
in my birth!) :-)

As a follow-up to that indignity, I had to run around the parade ground
until I dropped with a .303 bouncing up and down on my left shoulder!  9lbs
has - ever since - been regarded as a very, very unlucky weight - as far as
I'm concerned!  :-)

(And to give it some scuba content, after that, it was three days before I
could wriggle into a dry-suit!) :-)

Strike