SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:04:07 +0800
On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 04:26:15 -0400, Krazy Kiwi wrote:

>Where exactly are you based Robert?

We live in Hong Kong.  Don't dive right here though - nasty dirty
water.

><snip of info>
>
>A couple of frogfish (huge black one .. and a smaller bright yellow one)
>have been discovered in the burnt out area of Busselton jetty. Naturally a
>heavily guarded discovery by the WAUPS members to make sure some moron does
>not nick them for someones collection. One thing on their side is, being in
>the burnt out area, most divers dont bother swimming through this area as
>the huge schools of fish & other interesting critters hang out in the
>covered regions.

I'm just back from 4 days in Puerto Galera - warm-up for our trip to
PNG in August, and also compensation for Easter when Sandy (my sig.
oth.) got to go diving in Roatan and I didn't.  A beautiful white and
rust-coloured frogfish (Antenarius pictus) that I'd seen (and shot) on
one dive in January was still around.  Also saw two harlequin shrimps
(Hymenocera picta), although only one came out of its hole, - the first
time I've ever seen one.  Stunning.  Also shot another role on the
pygmy seahorses (Hippocampus bargibanti) , this time with a doubler and
new diopter that hopefully has better optics than the one I used last
time.  I think I was getting close to 2:1 with this set-up - on the
closest shots, the seahorse filled the frame in the viewfinder.  I'm
taking the film in for processing today.

Robert Delfs

Robert Delfs
Reply to:  <[log in to unmask]>
Tel:    +852 2812-6290  +852 9303-6397