SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:49:56 -0500
Dear Friends,

I choose not to get involved in pointless bickering, bear (Feeesh)
baiting, and the splitting of hairs over points more related to personal
attack than scuba.  My feeling about this instance is no different,
concerning a recent heated exchange between Ken Smith and Bob Ling.
However, what is different is the fact that challenges in the form of a
wager and counter wager were exchanged and accepted between Ken and
Bob.  Check the archives back to about 6/25/2001 and search for posts
made by both of them.

Last Wednesday, I received a check from Bob Ling in the amount of
$20,000, which, at his insistence, I deposited on Friday.  I confirmed,
to my disappointment, that this was not a gift to me, but instead is to
cover his portion of the wager between him and Ken.  :-)  As of this
morning, I have received no communication from Ken nor the $2,500 he
agreed to stake against Bob's $20Gs.  I assume that both parties are
serious...Bob certainly is.

I usually try to stay out of these squabbles and don't care enough about
the original sentiments that precipitated this wager to even comment.
However, since I've been cast in this role and have reluctantly
accepted, I'll hold the bets and stand ready to punch anyone in the beak
who doesn't play fair.  As far as judging a 'winner', I'll leave that
completely to Ken and Bob to agree upon, as I suggest you all do.

I apologize in advance to all for any part I may be playing in
furthering the squabble between these two, but perhaps this will bring
it to a close...an 'obese possibility' (fat chance).  In any case, I
have decided not to leave the country with Bob's money until I am at
least able to add Ken's portion of the wager to it.  :-)

Best regards,
Russ