HP3000-L Archives

June 2001, Week 3

From:
"Genute, A Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Genute, A Thomas
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:53:48 -0400
I have taken the stance that the fewer UDCs, the better.   I use UDCs for
LOGON to set the environment, e.g., HPPATH and to prevent most users from
accessing the system prompt.   A second valid purpose for UDCs is to replace
system commands, i.e., restrict users from access or specify parameters.
Some third party applications provide UDC files and some with commands are
longer than 8 characters, e.g., COGNOS, so it is just easier to use their
UDCs than try create command files for each command.   However, all the 200+
UDC commands I found on the system when I assumed management, e.g., SJ, AJ,
L, SS, etc., etc., I converted to command files.   The command files are
kept in a group with global "execute only" access and the group is added to
HPPATH during logon.

Managing an HP-3000 and protecting its environment can be very difficult
unless you can really take complete control.   There are many steps needed
to accomplish this.  One of them is to restrict certain system commands.
This is an example of a UDC I use to restrict SETCATALOG, NEWGROUP, ALTGROUP
and PURGEGROUP by online users.  The users see what a appears to be an MPE
error message.   I also log execution attempts with Security/3000.    The
implications of SETCATALOG have been enumerated in this thread.  The reason
I restrict the NEW/ALT/PURGEGROUP commands is to manage disk space with
multiple volume sets.   Note that there are no restrictions in these
commands if executed in a Job.   So job submission should be managed as
well.

SETCATALOG
ANYPARM U=![""]
OPTION NOLIST,NOHELP
IF HPJOBTYPE = "S" THEN
  XEQ MAIN.PUB.VESOFT "CALC SECURITYLOG('SETCATALOG !U')",1
  IF POS("SM",HPUSERCAPF) = 0 OR HPACCOUNT <> "SYS"
    ECHO
    ECHO EXECUTING THIS COMMAND REQUIRES SYSTEM MANAGER CAPABILITY. (CIERR
725)
    RETURN
  ENDIF
ENDIF
CONTINUE
SETCATALOG  !U
*******
NEWGROUP
ANYPARM U=![""]
OPTION NOLIST,NOHELP
IF HPJOBTYPE = "S" THEN
   XEQ MAIN.PUB.VESOFT "CALC SECURITYLOG('NEWGROUP !U')",1
   IF HPACCOUNT <> "SYS" THEN
     ECHO
     ECHO EXECUTING THIS COMMAND REQUIRES SYSTEM MANAGER CAPABILITY. (CIERR
725)
     RETURN
   ENDIF
ENDIF