HP3000-L Archives

June 2001, Week 3

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:37:16 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I am surprised that no one mentioned the risk of relying on one's HPPATH (or
> any path on any system) to resolve a command file name. Some mischief-maker
> can place an identically named command file in your path, before the
> location of the desired command file, with unpleasant results.

greg's right.  i would dearly love to see an enhancement (maybe tied into the
system-level ci variables project??) that allows...i don't know...i'll call it
'rules' that can be attached to critical variables like hppath.  i had a royal
battle with some less-than-informed users who were insisting on completely
resetting hppath in their own (account) logon udc.  they were repeatedly calling
saying 'this' is broke or 'that' is broke and it was because they were using a
'nonstandard' hppath.  at least for me, if i could 'configure' hppath to be
'append only' by ordinary (not 'sm') users that would be helpful.  i'd certainly
still want the system to set up hppath according to how it's set in the system
logon udc...but after that?  append only.

> Also, I'm likewise surprised that no one mentioned the option of having a
> UDC invoke a command file, possibly even of the same name as the UDC itself,
> for those of us who are simple-minded in their naming conventions (I'm well
> known around here for that sort of thing).

and this is exactly how i'm 'testing' replacement operator udcs on my production
system.    - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer