HP3000-L Archives

June 2001, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:04:18 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
I am surprised that no one mentioned the risk of relying on one's HPPATH (or
any path on any system) to resolve a command file name. Some mischief-maker
can place an identically named command file in your path, before the
location of the desired command file, with unpleasant results. Corollary,
having ./ in your path likewise exposes one to some risks, and I do recall
that being discussed here before. That then would require Gary's users to
type, for instance, /SYS/XEQ/CMDFILE.

Also, I'm likewise surprised that no one mentioned the option of having a
UDC invoke a command file, possibly even of the same name as the UDC itself,
for those of us who are simple-minded in their naming conventions (I'm well
known around here for that sort of thing). This way, you can swap out
versions of command files, with much less worry about the file being locked.
This also provides a potential solution to the pathing issue (although if
someone can also uncatalog the UDCs, one is once again exposed), at the
stated expense of the resource consumption.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com