UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:30:49 -0400
Colleagues:

        Tomorrow (Thursday, June 21st) from 7PM until 10PM please remember
to take part in the national voluntary "Rolling Blackout" to protest the
lack of strong leadership in the area of conservation/efficiency in the
President's proposed energy policy.  The desire  is to reduce demand for
electricity during the 7PM to 10PM time frame starting in the eastern time
zone, and rolling towards the west.  There is abundant evidence that
conservation/efficiency can  play a major role in reducing demand for
energy resources, even within the USA.  Let's let our President know that
we want to be willing participants in helping to solve this very real
problem.   If we must deal with the rammifications  of building new
powerplants (e.g., pollution, habitat loss, et al.) let us help balance the
equation by reducing demand, rather than placing such a strong emphasis on
the production side.  So, let's all do our parts to send this message.
Remember, also, to turn off essential items in your office/labs when
leaving Thursday afternoon.

                                With All Due Respect,

                                Henry Spratt

Henry G. Spratt, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403

Ph:     (423)755-4383