SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:39:07 -0400
Mike Wallace wrote:

> I expected to get a response or two about seeing fish with hooks but
> I'm surprised by the "commoness" of them. If the hooks are not
> stainless then they will rust out pretty quickly in saltwater, hopefully
> without too much damage but I bet they are mostly stainless these
> days.... Definitely a sad sight.

It must be rare since each of us has seen only one or two.

You are correct in your bet.  Most fishermen use stainless hooks.  I don't
for exactly the reasons you suggest.  My hooks deteriorate and drop out
quickly.  Not only are most hooks stainless, most wire leader is too.  This
is generally less of a problem except, of course, when used with a stainless
hook.  Then the fish is stuck with both hook and leader and much less likely
to live.  A two hook rig with stainless between the hooks would seem to be
the worst combination which is about the only thing I can think of that
would account for what Bob reported.

Bob, unfortunately, did not have a chance to ask the shark how it happened
and doesn't seem to recognize any other way to figure it out.

Lee