SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:10:14 -0400
On Thu, 31 May 2001 16:54:50 +0100, Andy Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>< SNIP >

>>The Ultimate Happiness is when you are the ONLY ONE who knows for
>>sure you're right.  :-)  Unfortunately, those occasions are as rare
>>as 1 million bullshitters typing at random and one of them comes up
>>with the first sentence of "A Tale of Two Cities".  :-))
>
>Similar to the theory that a million monkeys typing at a million keyboards
>would eventually recreate the complete works of Shakespeare - but the
>Internet proved that wrong :-)

But the Internet Monkeys are still trying.  Trouble is, few of them
can write more than a line or have the attention span to comprehend
more than a paragraph.  Just take a look at Chuck's typical posts.  <WBG>

>>>But here's an interesting thought, take a piece of neoprene down to say
>>>10m, how much would you expect it to shrink in LENGTH ?
>>>
>>>Andy Johnson
>
>>Very much depends how you "take" it.  It hardly shrinks in LENGTH
>>if you wear it on your body, even down to 100m.  :-)
>
>Exactly, so it cannot be considered homogenous and we already know it
>doesn't obey Boyles law

I was just playing along with Christian on his gross blunder on the
the GAS laws on air bubbles.

Air bubbles do follow Boyle's Law.  The neoprene material, whether
homogeneous of or not, is not GAS, hence the gas law on VOLUME doesn't
apply.  But the crux of the matter was that the discussion topic was
about the WARMTH of a neoprene suit, which was adequately reported
by Dave DeBarger on the Rodale's mag article, without pseudo-physicists
bring in the irrelevant laws!

In short, Christian was all "wet" on his criticism of Dave's article
and attempted justification of his own faulty conclusions, based on
his mis-application of even the simplest of all gas laws, on the
size of air bubbles.

THAT's the bottom line.

-- Bob.