SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:28:43 -0400
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:30:01 -0400, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Lee Bell wrote:
>>
>> >which we call a Bull Shark on this side of the pond, and there's a whole
>> lot of
>> > difference!
>>
>> > Well, they have some in the Bahamas, but they aren't common at all.

This last line is absolutely correct!  I have done more "shark dives"
in the Bahamas (Nassau and Freeport) than most people have done dives
there.  There are different kinds of shark dives -- dives conducted
specifically to see different kinds of sharks -- from Silkies (tamest),
Caribbean Reef, to BULL sharks.

Alas, the so called "bull shark dives" in the Bahamas are even LESS
true than the "Devil's Throat" dives in Cozumel.  That is, about 90%
of the Devils's Throat are FAKE THROATS.  For Bull shark dives in the
Bahamas, about 99% of the "bull sharks" are nothing more than Caribbean
Reef sharks!

Not many people KNOW the difference to tell which is which.  Even
though I KNOW exactly the characteristics to look for to tell a Bull
shark from a Caribbean Reef shark, those features are subtle, and I
can't always tell a Bull from a Caribbean.  The Bull Shark is NOT
COMMON at all, in the Bahamas -- and I suspect elsewhere.

Side QUIZ question:  How do tell a Bull shark from a Caribbean Reef
shark?

>> IF these two sentences fit together and IF they are referring to bull
sharks
>> here in the States, the second one is not exactly correct.

Since the Bahamas is not part of the States ... I'll skip the rest.  :-)

-- Bob.