SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:25:50 -0400
Krazy Kiwi wrote:

> After a previous boating incident where Jayna ended up in hospital Im glad
> to hear all went well this time. Was a tad concerned then and even more
> saddened when I heard Jayna was not diving much any more :-(
> You had a great day out with your lovely wife & fellow fishing buddies.
But
> the bonus was receiving unexpectedly a trophy & having that topped off
with
> winnings that nearly covered the costs for the day - what a bonus.

Jayna's encounter with carbon monoxide was courtesy of someone else's boat,
one designed quite differently from ours.  His boat had a taller cabin and a
flybridge which combined to block air movement from front to back and
creating the vacuum effect that brought the exhaust fumes on to the deck at
the stern.  While our boat, in cruising trim, has a canvas top all the way
from the windshield to the stern (the rear top is not in place when fishing,
which is what we were doing when the picture on our web site was taken),
it's also open for about a 18 inches above the windshield and sides as well
as, of course, the entire back.  Our boat simply can't create the conditions
that caused us problems without my doing something really stupid, like
putting up the front and side plastic while under way.

I had a lovely day with my lovely wife.  The fishing buddies, like the
trophy and payment for the trip, were all bonuses.

To add a bit of diving content, there's something worth considering in this.
My trip out and back, in a very efficient boat that is smaller than most
dive boats you see, took about 70 gallons of fuel to run out and back.  At
about $2.00 U.S. per gallon, that's $140 bucks for fuel.  Add close to
$1,000 a month (quadruple that for a larger boat) for dockage, insurance,
maintenance and purchase payments and it doesn't take long to see why dive
trips cost so much or why DMs are paid so poorly.

Lee