HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
"Thomas, Charlie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas, Charlie
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:14:00 -0700
Jonathan,
Just for your records, Cardinal Health, who at one point had ~60 HP3000s in
production nation wide , has been on the fast track in converting all of
their HP3000s to AS400s for the last several years.  Rumour has it, they
have entered the final phases of this, and anticipate being completely free
of the 3000 platform in 6 months or so... In my humble opinion, this was a
great mistake - based on internal politics alone - not to mention (in my
insignificant opinion), a vast disservice to their stock-holders, who
probably still have NO idea of how many millions were (are) spent needlessly
to convert what was already in place and working efficiently, which without
IBMs, effectively placed the company in the "Fortune 60" catagory.

It seems absurd, but I recall that it was only about 6 years ago when IBM
FINALLY decided to build a front-end piece to their OS in order to handle
connecting to "open systems"....they had to be dragged kicking and screaming
to the open systems model - no doubt, it was their bottom line that finally
"decided" the move for them, since the rest of the world went that direction
years before.

Anyway Johnathan,  I expect that you will have to be removing Cardinal from
your 'preferred' list, in not a long while.

Charlie Thomas
Systems Administration Unit
Information Systems Division
California Department of Corrections