HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 23:20:37 EDT
Jeff writes:

> Way off-topic, but I respect the cumulative wisdom of our readers :-)

Nah, this isn't way off topic. In fact, it's dead-on topic compared to what I
want to talk about. I went to see "Pearl Harbor" this weekend, and I have a
raft of off-topic sentiments about that movie :-).

>  Web browser plugins have gotten so friendly these days that they
>  practically install themselves on demand.  But on the other hand, I
>  have found myself in need on "uninstalling" some obsolete plugins and
>  I haven't a clue (specifically Netscape, but I don't have any info on
>  IE either which I also use on occasion).
>
>  I know they are related to DLLs in the plugin directory, but surely
>  there is some registry information as well associated with the MIME
>  types and/or extensions handled by the plugins.  I don't want to go
>  the manual editing route if there is some hidden way to cleanly
>  uninstall them.  I found nothing in the help docs.

One clean way to get rid of the plug-ins is to trust the browser's uninstall
program. Uninstall the entire browser and then reinstall it. If the
uninstaller is any good, it should clean the registry of everything that is
remotely associated with the browser, plug-ins included.

Wirt Atmar