HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 20:37:22 +0200
>Now there is no delay at all using VT-MGR and PowerHouse Quick.
 . . .
>And still I can't understand why it does. This is magic to me at least.
>Can someone explain to me why it helps, please.

I have zero knowledge of PowerHouse or Quick. However, I recall one
thing where NS/VT is slower then Telnet... the handling of Ctrl-Y
related XCONTRAP calls. With Telnet, the client is dumb and thus not
involved, whereas with NS/VT the client side needs to be told about
the desired change in behaviour.

So, if the Quick screens use a couple (or more) calls to XCONTRAP,
this might cause network traffic with no visible effect (other than
flashing LAN card LEDs ;-) but with associated packet delays.

By redirecting Quick's STDIN to $NULL there is no "keyboard link"
and this no associated communication with the NS/VT client side.

Lars (just guessing, really just guessing)