HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 11:08:15 -0400
Thus it was written in the epistle of Shahan, Ray,
> You would have to have hard-coded "pairs" of jobs for that to ever work....

Likely I'm not understanding something, but I don't see why you would.  A given
job creates a file called JP##### which contains strictly information on who
started the whole process.  Anyone can look at that file and find out.  In
specific, any job streamed by that job could look in the file.  Here's
pseudo-code.

At logon, check the HPSTREAMEDBY variable and if it gives a session.
If so,
  Create JPjnum (where jnum is HPJOBNUM) which contains the HPSTREAMEDBY info
otherwise
  Parse HPSTREAMED by to get out the number of the job which streamed me.
  Copy JPjnum1 to JPjnum2 where jnum1 is the job which streamed me and
    jnum2 is my HPJOBNUM.

Upon needing to communicate with the user, simply grab the session number,
which will be in my JP##### file and send the message.  You can stack as many
of these guys as you want, and with a LOGON UDC which checks HPINTERACTIVE, you
can make it happen for every job on the system.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a