HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 16:17:02 -0700
Sylvia Almeida wrote:

> Does anybody know if  the processor boards for the Unix N4000 will work on an HPe3000 N4000?

i believe the processor boards for the 'n' version of mpe systems have special firmware on them
so that they can only be used on mpe systems.  it's my understanding that the boot process looks
for this information -- if it's missing, then no boot.  it was hp's solution to the problem they
had with certain used hardware vendors buying (cheap) used 9000 systems, running the magic
program and suddenly having (more expensive, but still used) 3000 systems.

> The same for the 1 GB memory boards.

i don't know about that one....              - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

"Unix _is_ user friendly.
It's just very selective about who its friends are.
And sometimes even best friends have fights."