HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 11:43:54 -0600
Christian,

After some research I found that the HP-IB card (A1747A) used in the 9x8
and 99x server shows an EOS date of August, 2004.  That means that you
could support the HP-IB card under your hardware contract, even though
your stuck on MPE/iX 6.0 (unsupported) to run it...

Very bizzare...

Chris the geek

----------

Christian,

It gets kinda weird on this stuff, so sorry.

Even though the actual 9x8 and 99x systems you are asking about will be
supported until February 2006, the support for HP-IB interfaces and
remaining peripherals will end with MPE/iX 6.0 support, which is April
2002.  No newer version of MPE will support HP-IB whatsoever. Sorry.

Now, there will be customers who will run MPE/iX 6.0 and HP-IB long after
their EOS because they need to for a multitude of reasons.  That means, in
theory, that their 9x8 or 99x hardware could be fully supported by HP -
minus their HP-IB card(s) and peripheral(s) - and have no support for the
operating system, either, because they're stuck on 6.0 or less for it's
HP-IB drivers.

Conversely, HP is "assuming" that most people will opt to replace/upgrade
their current HP-IB peripherals to newer SCSI versions to take advantage
of later MPE releases for the remaining support life of their 9x8 and 99x
machines.

How true any of these assumptions end up is anyone's guess.

(Hey, I still run across quite a few "classic" 3000 boxes out there, and
they hit their EOS years ago, even though the machines are unsupported for
the most part.)

Hope this helps.

Chris the geek

----------

Hi fellow listers !

Chris the Geek ([log in to unmask]) wrote :

> FYI:
>
> MPE/iX 6.0 is the last release to support HP-IB.  There is no support
for
> HP-IB on MPE/iX 6.5 and later.
>
> Chris the geek

This raises two comments from me :

1) I screwed up, confusing 6.0 and 6.5. My apologies for this.

2) Since the HP committed date of EOS for 6.0 is April 2002, that means
there won't be any HP-IB support after this date. However, 9x8s and 997s
do
support HP-IB devices, and will themselves remain supported till February
2006. Hence the question ... :

Can we support HP-IB devices on HP-IB capable systems AFTER April 2002 ?
In
other words, with which MPE/iX release do we support HP-IB devices between
May 1st, 2002 and February 1st, 2006 ?

Or is it simply that all HP-IB peripherals will have gone EOS by April
2002
and therefore HP-IB support after 6.0 EOS date is not an issue ?

Christian

Posted from www.3kworld.com