HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 21:46:22 -0500
If you have only one box,  then the only reason for not using DDS as the
media, is that about half the time we get tapes without all of the correct
products on it.   So you have to keep ordering tapes until they get it
correct.  On the CDROM side, you only need to get a new codeword generated
--- but --- we've also had times when we had to have the code word
generated four or five times before we got a good one.

If you use a CDROM,  you can add products later by getting a new code word
from HP that includes that product.  Much faster than ordering an add-on
subsystem tape --- caveat is that the CDROM is not automatically updated
when with new products like the Express releases... so even with a CDROM in
hand, you may still need to order a DDS tape. :-(

If you are creating CSLT's for multiple machines,   in my opinion, the
CDROM is the only way to go!  You can create the tapes in advance, multiple
tapes, verify (CHECKSLT) the tapes and get the updates to a new OS staged
and ready to roll.  No hassles with wrong media delivered, wrong or missing
products on the tape, etc.   Same caveats (above) apply.... code word
problems occasionally,  CDROM's not updated for Express releases, etc.