HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 14:40:46 -0600
Hello, Leondard.

At  11:52 AM 5/17/01, Leonard S. Berkowitz wrote:
>I was recently testing compressing a bunch of files and uncompressing
>them, but
>into a different group. LZW does have a switch/parameter to do that.
>
>I built an empty group, but did not bother to build it in the same user
>volumeset where the original, uncompressed files reside. LZW did not work.
>Error
>#1604 -- with no further information).
>
>When I purged the group and built it properly on the same user volumeset
>as the
>source files, the restore (uncompress) worked as expected.

Renaming a file across volume sets is not allowed.  The file has to be
copied and the original purged to accomplish the equaivalent task.  That's
because rename never copies the data of a file, it simple changes the file
label and moves the directory entry.  If the file has to move from one
volumeset to another, then rename stops and returns an error.

I suspect that LZW is creating the file in the current group (or current
directory?) and when it's finished is renaming the file to the desired
target name.  This technique is often used when one wishes to avoid having
a partially created file if the action doesn't complete.

-- Jeff Woods