HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 12:33:46 -0400
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Actually if you look up the host:
> http://maps.vix.com/cgi-bin/lookup?207.136.177.243
>
> It refers you to http://mail-abuse.org/dul/
> which says that the mail is being sent from a dial-up.  Are you sure your
> mail programs are configured correctly to send the mail through the ISP's
> SMTP server?

Where did you get that IP address?

Anyway, to answer you're question:  I'm not sure!

That is, I *assume* the mail server itself is set up correctly (a bad
assumption, I know, since the ISP set it up), and the mail clients (mostly
Win 9x machines) have been functioning for over a year now with no
complaints, so, again, I *assume* they are set up correctly.  We are using
MS Outlook Express (or is that Lookout Depress?).  One of the things the ISP
had me try was to change the Outgoing Mail SMTP server (under
Tools>Accounts>Properties>Servers) to "mail.onecom.com" instead of the
internal IP address of our mail server (10.xxx.xxx.xxx).  This did not work;
that is, my client would not send mail.  We also tried their IP address
(which is not the one given above, hence my question) and that did not work
either.

So, if "configured correctly" means "works for me" then, yes, they are
configured correctly.  However, if "configured correctly" means "configured
the way it's supposed to be" then the answer is maybe.

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231