HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:31:44 -0700
John Korb wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has looked into porting AOL Server
> (www.aolserver.com) to the HP e3000.  I saw a "web-off" of IIS, Apache (on
> HP-UX), and AOL Server (on HP-UX 11) yesterday and was very impressed by
> the way it trounced IIS and even Apache.
>
> I understand that the very heavy use of threads (which give it its
> performance boost) may make it difficult or impossible to port to some
> platforms (HP e3000?).  Not being a C person or Unix guru, I'm not
> qualified to evaluate porting issues.  Oh, and apparently tcl is embedded
> in AOL Server so a separate tcl interpreter/compiler is not required.
>
> Any thoughts on porting it?

The CSY Public Access Development System (http://jazz.external.hp.com/pads/)
has an early version of the Draft 10 threads beta patch installed, but
unfortunately the beta patch has since been marked bad.  I am currently
monitoring the threads patch situation, and will be installing the new beta on
invent3k just as soon as it becomes available.

Once this patch becomes stable beta or GR, then it might be worth somebody's
time to investigate porting AOL Server.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...