HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 19:12:15 -0400
>Yes, you can use Enhydra, Tomcat, and other on HP3000, but how many
>companies will allow their mission critical applications and systems to be
>exposed to internet directly running web servers on same box. Having one
>cheap box with windows NT or Linux will solve a lot of trouble that company
>will have.

That's the nice thing about Enhydra, Tomcat etc, it can run on both whereas
ASP can only run on Windows for free and at a cost on other machines.  That
gives one some flexibility if needed.

>And with coming .NET technologies from Microsoft, it will be much easiest
>in the future to build WEB applications using .NET on windows servers, then
>running JAVA aplication servers.

EJB will offer the same capabilities of .NET most likely.

>Make more sence to have front end on one of those servers and keep mission
>critical applications and databases on HP3000.

No argument here!

>I'm wondering how many of DOT-COMS that are out of business now were using
>so expensive aplication servers just to run JSP pages and have some web
>access to their systems, and how many of them were ones who were running
>ASP pages?

Have you been to www.ellisislandrecords.org?  It runs on ASP and it is
sooooooo slow.  Granted, it's getting a great deal of hits, but the
technology alone won't make a good site by itself.

>To run ASP pages you buy windows , you have full support for IIS server,
>transaction server, operating system.

In light of this weeks security hole that IIS leaves in Win2K, I don't know
if I would be sleeping so well...