HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 10:41:36 -0700
"Johnson, Tracy" wrote:

> Slashdot reported a review of Samba 2.2 on ZDNet at:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2712294,00.html
>
> (Not that it is ported to MPE/iX yet,
> I'm sure Mr. Bixby will get to it.)

Well, there are only so many hours in a day.  ;-)

Samba is something that I haven't had any porting involvement with, due to the
fact that there are already several people with this kind of experience and
desire.

<SPEAKING FOR CSY>
That CSY has productized an open-source app or CSY people have done the initial
port of an open-source app DOES NOT mean that CSY "owns" any particular MPE
port.

Any MPE user should feel free to contribute to any MPE port (including starting
a new port).  If you have an urgent need for Samba 2.2 or the latest version of
any other open-source app, go for it and do the port yourself.  You don't have
to wait for CSY to do it.  We welcome your shared involvement.

If you do get involved, all I ask is for you to keep us informed.  It seems
that after each round of POSIX evangelism I do on HP3000-L, I get several
private e-mails saying "I'm currently working on X" or "I'm thinking about
porting Y", and that's (good) news to me!

I hope to be able to announce a new CSY program in the next day or two or three
that will make it easier for people to get involved.  Stay tuned.  :-)
</SPEAKING FOR CSY>
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...