HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:11:26 -0400
On Thu, 3 May 2001 12:47:35 -0400, Jonathan M. Backus
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The one thing you want to be careful about with this example is to make
>sure you allow "parm=-1" on HELLO.  [...]

An alternate would be to put the "bye" command INSIDE of the IF statement.
True, this does reduce security & may cause confusion, but it won't lock
you out [you'll be left at a command prompt if LOGON.CMD.SYS is missing]

Better still (to a degree) would be to include the logic presented in
another message to test if you are a particular user to determine if you
should be logged off when LOGON.CMD.SYS doesn't exist or if you should get
to a command prompt/recovery program [such as the command interface for
road-runner or orbit, thus allowing you to restore a copy of LOGON.CMD.SYS
from tape...]

     ^^^^^^^
>the end (but that's your call....)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[emphasis mine :) -- tom]

>here's an example of a logon udc that does what i've described:
>
>logon
>option logon, nobreak, nolist, nohelp
>if finfo('logon.cmd.sys','exists')
>  xeq logon.cmd.sys
>endif
>bye
>***

====================
While not as secure as "option logon,nobreak" UDC's, another alternative is
to create "commands" that are menu items.  [I actually saw this done in DOS
on a PC once: someone created the files "menu.bat", "1.bat", "2.bat" and so
on -- "menu.bat" just contained echo statements, "1.bat" executed the
program for menu item 1, 2.bat for item 2, and so on]

The only real problem with this approach is that the HP cannot accept file
names or UDC's beginning with digits [does Posix support non-alpha-initial
characters?] but you can "hide" this by making what appears to be specific
purpose menus, i.e., an "administrative" menu, a "maintenance" menu,
a "report" menu, and so on -- then you can stipulate that all
admin "commands" begin with "A", maint with "M", reports with "R", and so
on.  (The "commands" become A1, A2, A3, M1, M2, R1, R2...)

Tom