HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 11:42:14 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Here, MediaOne got the rights to carry local phone service, and then got
bought by AT&T. I assume that there is some regulatory relationship between
this and Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) now selling long distance.

It was a hoot to see how little BA advertised! Their initial DSL campaign
consisted of a single billboard that looked like it was designed by the
Amish (no offense intended to any Amish list members), it was so strikingly
plain (yellow background, a rather plain smiling head shot, and some
informational print), while M1 was selling their RoadRunner cable modem
service left and right for half BA's DSL prices. Now, it's a hoot to see BA
get serious about customer service, and running clever, well-targeted ads.
As I've mentioned, I have BA / Verizon for cellular service, and their ads
for cellular web and text messaging seem to be targeted to the young (who
perhaps don't mistake James Earl Jones's voice for Darth Vader), and seem to
be working. And, I get my text messages, with no monthly fee (although I had
to "sign up" for some reason, probably demographic!), for $.02 plain.

With competition, my RBOC is a very different company.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com