HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 09:27:03 -0400
Peter,

Peter Stoops <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Yesterday a part of our job-schedule flushed, the cause was that the
> job-file didn't exist. I am sure that on monday the file was still there,
> because I've transferred it to my PC for modification. Now my actual
> question : is there a way to find out who or what  purged this file?
> We are on MPE/iX 5.5 PP5, not using any scheduler software for the moment.
> Everything is launched from within other jobs.
> I know my chances are very small, but I have to try...

*IF* you have File Close Logging enabled (logging event number 105) you can
determine who purged the file. Use the following procedure. First you need
to determine which log files contain the records you want. A LISTFILE
LOG####.PUB.SYS,3 should do the trick. It will give you the create dates of
the files. Isolate the file(s) that were created on or after the date the
file last was on the system.

:sysdiag
DUI> logtool
LOGTOOL> list log=3105/3107;type=105;out=logs105
LOGTOOL> exit
DUI> exit

Use EDITOR or QUAD or QEDIT or GREP or ... to find the file name. It will
likely exist multiple times in the output file. The entry that includes the
PURGE disposition will tell you who deleted the file.

The majority of systems do not have File Close Logging enabled, however, so
this likely will not work for you. Also, if the file was removed by a PM
program such as FSCHECK you won't see a log entry either. A normal file
purge is done by first FOPENing the file, then FCLOSEing the file with the
disposition of PURGE. Thus, it records a file close log entry. But, FSCHECK
bypasses the FOPEN/FCLOSE and just removes the directory entry. There may be
other PM programs that do the same type of thing (MPEX perhaps?)

Good luck in your hunt.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio