HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 18:41:05 -0400
Art,

  Your firewall isn't slow, it's just real busy(:-)).  It puts
telnet lower down it's priority list, coming after keeping current
connections alive.

  BTW, your 3000 learns about the gateway when the connection is made.

Richard

Art Bahrs wrote:

> Hi Gary :)
>    Tom Brandt basically gave a great how too on this :)  with the caveat
> that for us we have to authenticate with our Firewall (this is good... keeps
> out all the black hats while allowing us white hats in! hehe) the bad part
> is that to do this on our firewall involves a Reflection or Minisoft telnet
> session ....
>
>    And the telnet session is so slow I think I am back on a 300 baud
> acoustic coupler modem!!!  but it does the job and we get thru to our
> 3k's......Once we get authenticated by the firewall.... we open NS/VT
> sessions to our 3k's and we be flyin'! ....
>
>    The interesting thing is that when I connect to Milo (our 979) via the
> network .... a "Gateway" listing gets created for the firewall as a active
> but not default gateway!   Even after I removed the firewall gateway entry
> in NMMGR and reset the network internet!
>
> Art "still confused but learning :) hehe" Bahrs

Richard L Gambrell, Director of Computing Systems and Networks
Information Technology Division
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
103 Hunter Hall, Department Code 4454
615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
private e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UTC ITD Systems and Networks fax: 423-755-4150
UTC my office: 423-755-5316
UTC ITD Systems & Networks: 423-755-4551
UTC ITD Business Office: 423-755-5284
UTC Operations phone: 423-755-4144
UTC ITD Support (Help Desk): 423-755-4000
UTC email: [log in to unmask]