HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 13:31:20 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
And then there's the Dilbert Principle. We used to be able to rely on
working for people who at one time used to do our job or something very much
like it, and had some clue about what we do. Now days, there are managers
who are managers and nothing else, and we see degrees in management. True,
some rare individuals do very well, managing work that they have never done,
cannot do, and may not even understand. And, some rare individuals can be
promoted to manage the work they once did. And, some rare individuals can
run a four minute mile. I'm not sure what the solution is, except that
perhaps management should be both rare and well done.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
I do recommend the book Peopleware