HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Bob Hooper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Hooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 10:38:43 -0400
Mark raises a lot of good points here.

IIS/ASP performance is something we are still trying to quantify.  Our test
site http://www.bspusa.com does not receive enough hits at present to give
us an indication of performance under a heavy load.  The CVSD solution that
we deployed last year is hosted on an 988 and single 800mz NT server and
does not have any performance problems to date.  The overall solution is
providing services to about 80 VB-View sessions and browser based student
attendance accounting/student info. inquiry for 300+ teachers and
administrators. Web page response is typically one to two seconds.

If you are not seeing similar results I would investigate some of the other
middleware solutions which are now available.  The list continues to grow
but I would suggest you investigate Quest Software and Transformix Computer
Corporation's RPC based middleware solutions as well as possibly have a
look at WebAssist.  The web is certainly not a one size fits all market.

Security is an ongoing problem but I for one feel much safer with our HP
firewalled and the external web server isolated in the DMZ.