HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Douglas Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 07:09:02 -0700
Jeff,

Thank you for your response--I will pass it along.

The third option is probably the most wise of all.
I have seen an excellent technician moved to management and it is not a pretty sight.
Haven't these people [who promote technologists] read the Peter Principle?

Douglas

>>> "VANCE,JEFF (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <[log in to unmask]> 05/03 3:14 PM >>>
Hi all,

> My boss has a high level of concern about HP laying off 3,000
> people and wants to know what impact that will have on continueing
> support of MPE and the HP e3000?

Just to set the record straight, from what we in CSY have been told,
HP is *not* laying off 3000 people.  HP has been asked to increase
the span of control for our managers.  This means that we are supposed
to have more people working for each manager.  This can be accomplished
several ways: 1) fire managers and move their people to other managers,
2) hire more individual contributors and have them report to existing
managers, 3) promote some managers back to individual contributors
("promote" is my opinion).  I believe all three options will be used
by HP, including hiring engineers.

regards,
Jeff Vance, CSY