SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2001

From:
John Nitrox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 13:04:53 -0500
At 10:23 AM 5/9/01 -0400, Mark Bevelhimer wrote:
>At 07:43 PM 5/8/01 -0400, Lee Bell wrote:
>>Most informative, thanks.  I must admit that I do not understand the
>>sensitivity of some to names that, to me, are nothing more than names.  Of
>
>I agree and I'm pretty sensitive to others' feelings.  But, I can't imagine
>what would be derogatory about Jewfish.  I have uncovered the original
>announcement by the committee that makes such changes, and it doesn't
>provide much information as to who was offended or why.
.
         Given the obvious raging Anti-Semitism of the American Fisheries
Society in changing the name of this magnificent fish from Jewfish to
Goliath Grouper in honor of the champion of the Philistines who terrorized
the Israelites, we can be thankful that the Society doesn't have the power
to change common names except among its members and the "politically
correct."   Given the gentle demeanor of this endangered, great grouper,
the species may never kill a human, but if it were to happen I'd much
rather read <The Star>  headline "Jewfish kills philistine" than risk
reading "Goliath kills Jew," even disregarding the negative impact this
second headline would have for the fish.

         To make matters worse, there's a rumor that Queen Elizabeth II has
started a movement with some other titular heads of state (a very small
minority group) to change the names of a large number of fish starting with
the Queen Angelfish and the Princess Parrotfish.  Well, if the AFS can
assign new common names to fish so can the NEDs, and as NED Satrap with
plenipotentiary powers of the NED Imperial Potentate of common fish naming
the common name changes are as follows:

         Hereafter, the Ling  will be called the Bjorn Jensen after its
wisdom in traveling from North Atlantic waters to warm tropical waters.  In
recompense to Bob, the Nassau Grouper will be called the Ling Grouper.  In
hopes of peace between the two great denizens (Strike and the triggerfish)
of the South Pacific, the Titan Triggerfish will be called the Strike
Triggerfish (sorry I don't have power over scientific names, Strike).  The
Rainbow Parrotfish will be called the Johnson Parrotfish.  The Shortfin
Mako Shark, known for its speed, is now the Bell Shark  The Bluehead Wrasse
will be the Crusty Wrasse in honor of the many attractive females it
travels with, and the Queen Angelfish will be the Viv Angelfish on account
of its good looks and since the name is available (see above).  And
finally, the Sandtiger Shark is now the Bevelhimer Shark because it changes
names (scientific and otherwise) more often than most people change underwear.

         Like most powerful officials, I'm not above being bribed so if
you're unsatisfied with your fish or haven't been issued a fish we can
discuss it over a beer, your shout.  :-)   BTW, the URL where the AFS
article can be downloaded
is:  http://www.fisheries.org/fisheries/fishery.shtml

DPTNST,

John