SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2001

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 14:27:35 +0800
Bob wrote:

> PREVENT you?  You can w**k in Palau as a PADI Master Scuba Instructor,

Not if I have to keep Soyong in shoes :-)

> and there MUST be some PADI Specialty Cert for which your 8-month old
> is qualified to do!  :-)

Aaah, maybe we should write a Distinctive Specialty (don't ask!) for that
one :-)

I will say, though, in this close circle of friends <g>, that I had immense
pleasure out of watching my 8-year old daughter go through the bubble maker
program at Club Med in Phuket in February. She went through it 3 times :-)

I did not teach it (I have a theory about teaching your family: Don't!), but
the Japanese instructor was most competent. Of course it should be added
that my daughter has hardly spent a single day of her entire life without
being in a swimming pool, and so could probably outlast most of us on this
list both in distance and stamina. I was delighted to see that her extreme
comfort in the water carried over to her underwater behavior as well.

I sit on the fence WRT Bubble Maker. As for my daughter, I KNEW that she
would love it, and I knew that there would be few divers on the island of
Phuket that day who had her in-water comfort level. As for others, I agree
with you that it has to be the parents' INFORMED decision whether to do it
or not.

> This will be my LAST post with this LAST PC which I'll take from SC
> to join the rest of my PCs in TN, later today.   :-)

I just realized that in the time it has taken you and Sue to move from SC to
TN, I have moved from Manila to Bangkok to Singapore :-))

Bjorn