SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2001

From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:18:15 +1000
--- Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
Snip...

> Oh yes, one more thing that made this a particularly
> interesting dive . . .
> in fact, the one thing that made me limber up my fingers to
> share the
> experience.  Our maximum depth was 16 feet, average depth was
> only 9.  If
> someone had told me I could enjoy spending an hour on scuba in
> such shallow
> water, I would have laughed.  No more.  Next time I'll put on
> a thin

There is a lot to be said about shallow dives especially on the
critter front. When our local conditions are so-so, we often
elect to dive alternate, sheltered sites, rarely reaching more
than 9 meters depth. Some of these dives has proven to be some
of our best efforts, generally rewarded with critters we don't
normally see and sometimes critters we can't even identify.

On a summer's day when the water temp. is up, dives of 75
minutes are not uncommon. The additional time allows us to visit
the macro world and perhaps stop and really observe the
activities of the critters we encounter. Case in point....stop
and watch an Octopus for a good long while....their behaviour
and movements can be quite facinating.

Cheers
Bird

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- Voice chat, mail alerts, stock quotes and favourite news and lots more!