HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:26:52 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Well, I don't have a problem with their profits being high. But when they go
UP, something's rotten in Denmark. If they made a nickel a gallon yesterday,
then raise prices $.20 / gallon to offset their costs, they should still be
making a nickel a gallon, right? Maybe gross revenue goes up, but profits
should stay the same, or even dip as higher gas prices depress buying
habits. Correspondingly, the price of any and all material goods should also
go up. Then again, so should UPS, USPS, and FedEx delivery costs! And I
don't think we actually see that happen, do we?

I remember turning on NightLine some years ago, and hearing Ted Koppel state
that they had just received word that Iraq had invaded Kuwait. I joked with
my wife that maybe taking a vacation away from any nuclear first zones would
be a good idea. I should have taken both cars to gas stations and filled up
that night, because by the next morning, it was too late.

Someone wrote an editorial cartoon -
Day 1 - gas sign reads $.80; Iraq invades Kuwait
Day 2 - gas sign reads $.98; gas goes up
Day 4 - gas sign reads $.98; the oil companies say that they are not greedy,
but that they have to sell gas at their replacement costs when oil goes up
Day 6 - gas sign reads $.98; OPEC opens reserves to offset changes in
production
Day 7 - gas sign reads $.98;
Day 20 - gas sign reads $.98;
Day 30 - gas sign reads $.98;
Day 60 - gas sign reads $.98; See Day 4.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com