HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:46:01 -0700
Kevin Smeltzer of Circuit City writes:

>To combine threads, MPE = Multiple-Patches-Exasperation.

>Seems Orbit has found a bug in their Backup+/iX software version 6.05a with
>HP patch MPEKXU3.

This is very (very) old news that pre-dated HPWorld last year and
has long since been fixed. ORBiT did an email campaign to notify
users about this problem and pushed a fix release to all
customers with current support agreements.

For the patch in question, I'd have to say that it was not as
much a bug discovered in Backup+ that was the issue, but the fact
that an MPE patch introduced to support new disk drives had
behaved in a way that our online logging facility didn't expect.

While we do a pretty reasonable job limiting the impact of OS
changes to the product, we can't anticipate all things that might
exist in the future especially patches.

A recent visit to the ITRC patch area shows that MPEKXU3 has
also been replaced - so even that patch appears to have not
anticipated all possibilities either.

Please rest assured that we will continue to do our best to be
proactive where we can. We work closely with CSY to make
sure that we are forewarned about changes to the OS where we
think there will be impact. However, not everything can be
anticipated and in those cases, we do our utmost to solve
the problem when it is discovered.