HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:59:08 -0400

[also] Carl McNamee wrote:
>  :COMMENT   STREAM FILE JPOSTMST.V0700030.POSTGRES
>  :COMMENT     STREAMED BY MCNA7282,MGR.POSTGRES,PUB ON LDEV 22
>  :COMMENT     RUNNING PROGRAM MAIN.PUB.VESOFT
[aside: the above line shows it was submitted via STREAMX]
>  :COMMENT     ON THU, APR 26, 2001, 10:31 AM
>  :XEQ sh.hpbin.sys  "-L -c '&
>  :  POSTMASTER -i &; &
>  :  ECHO $! >../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid; &
>  :  CHMOD 644 ../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid; &
>  :  WAIT; &
>  :  RM ../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid'"

>Interesting.  Why would STREAMX want to upshift stuff?  I hope there's a
way to
>turn that feature off, because if you run lots of POSIX batch jobs you
will be
>asking for trouble otherwise.

STREAMX, amongst other things, is looking for embedded STREAM commands.
Since, from an MPE point of view, commands are not case sensitive, I
believe STREAMX is upshifting the first word or "command" found on any
lines that begin with "!" [or any alternate character you might have used
if you did a "stream filename,#" for instance...] in order to compare it to
the word "!STREAM".  [it's been quite a few years since I've worked for
them, so this is what I *remember* the program doing several years ago.]

STREAMX does NOT pay particular attention to the line continuation
characters since you can have a job like this:

   !run myprog;info="parm 1,&
   ::if testmode = true
   !testparm,&
   ::endif
   !parm3"

which will make the info string contain either "parm1,parm3"
or "parm1,testparm,parm3" depending on the value of the "testmode" variable.

Offhand I don't remember if there is a command or JCW to set to disable the
upshifting of the submitted command(s).  I would DEFINATELY contact VESOFT
to see if there is an update (or if not so they can "fix" this)  VESOFT is
very responsive to problems caused by their software when "MPE doesn't do
that" [and what they do instead is not a "feature"]

An alternate way of going about it might be:

!job JPOSTMST.V0700030.POSTGRES
!XEQ sh.hpbin.sys  "-L -c &
!  'postmaster -i & &
!  ;echo $! >../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid &
!  ;chmod 644 ../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid &
!  ;wait &
!  ;rm ../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid'"

The leading non-alpha character (' & ;) should disable STREAMX's attempt to
upshift-looking-for-a-stream-command, but should not affect the shell's
ability to parse the command.

Alternatively, I *think* you can try this:
!job JPOSTMST.V0700030.POSTGRES
!XEQ sh.hpbin.sys "-L"
postmaster -i &;
echo $! >../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid
chmod 644 ../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid
wait
rm ../CURRENT/etc/postmaster.pid'
exit
!<remaining jcl>

In this case, the "commands" to the shell are executed as part of the job
instead of part of an info string.  Because this is "input to a program",
the lines of the outer JCL do NOT begin with an !, so STREAMX should not
attempt to upshift the first word [because STREAMX is smart enough to
recognize this is input to a program instead of commands being processed by
the CI, and upshifting arbitrary commands could have disasterous effects...]