HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:11:42 -0700
The speed differences refer to the speed of the PB bus versus the PCI bus.
The individual controllers aren't any faster (e.g. 20mbs for fast/wide
SCSI), but they are less constrained by the bus they share.  Most larger
HP3000's have more than one PB bus, but it still is a bottleneck.  There
will be support for ultra SCSI sometime.

There were, in fact, comments about this improvement when the N-class
machines were first announced.  Postings from a couple of software vendors
(Robelle? Adager?) remarked about their early testing with this platform and
the remarkable improvement in performance.  I don't recall whether those
postings specifically stated that the PCI bus architecture was responsible,
but I believe there were references to "faster I/O".