HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:35:04 -0400
Jeff Kell wrote:

> > Especially if Jeff has enough 9000s around to make him willing to
> > host such a list.
>
> I just have one at the moment, but a good sized one (4-way K570).  While
> we've been up to 7 3000s (classics) at one time, we're down to one, so
> it's equal ground :-)

Jeff,

Wait, now, let's not give the wrong impression. It isn't a fair fight.
Our 9000 is maybe about 6 times faster and has a bunch more disk
space, but it does only a smidgen of the workload of our 3000.

Our 9000 supports commercial packages for Financial Aid and
Bursar/AR (Banner) and (recently) the  Library (VTLS Virtua).

Our 3000 supports custom applications for Academic Records and
Registration,  Advising, Academic Progress monitoring (RAP),
Admissions, Recruiting, Parking, Continuing Education, Graduate
School, Telephone Billing, Student Labs use tracking, Loan
Collections, Student Government voting authentication, and I'm sure
there are other things I don't know about yet. Soon we will add
Credit Card web payments (yes, we're bringing new custom
applications to our 3000).  With some help from UTC's CECA
advanced technology group in Computer Science, we're moving
the voting authentication to a web application done with Java and
JDBC.

Richard
--
Richard L Gambrell, Director of Computing Systems and Networks
Information Technology Division