HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 3

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 19 Apr 2001 17:06:56 +0100753_- I have just spoken to our account manager and he confirmed that the end of
support for 9x9 is 01/02/2006.

Just thought I would let everyone know...

Thanks

Paul Thompson
Spark Response
www.sparkresponse.com

Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:35:17 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Yes and no.

I was given a certain company's pager, and asked to monitor the success of a
perl script that pulled files from our mainframe, encrypted them (PGP on
Linux), and sent them on their way to a partner's ftp server. When the
script detected any one of certain failures, it would email a message to
said pager, among other recipients. But those who had only monitored these
processes had noticed that said script would apparently fail, and yet, they
would not see a page. But they could see the same email message via their
email clients. I spent some time at the pager service's web site, and noted
that they warned against using their email interface for anything that was
time-sensitive, or words to that effect. Surprisingly, the only software
interface they offered was a sixteen-bit program for Windows 3.x and up. No
UNIX, nor Linux.

It was at that point that I went to my cell phone provider's site, who
happens to be Verizon, whose service I already described in this or a
related thread. I have already recommended to my department that we look at
just using whatever email interface our member's cell phones provide (if
there is a cost, CGI's policy is to reimburse it, although at $.02 per
message, I don't plan on bothering). I changed the script to email me a text
message, both when the script ends, and when there is an error. I have never
seen a delay of more a very few minutes, and, when I have been actively
monitoring, sometimes just seconds. The serendipity of this choice is I now
know the status of this script by the number of times my cell chirps to tell
me that I have received a text message.

Perhaps my experience with my provider is above average, but it just makes
sense to me that cell phones replace pagers by offering paging and messaging
options. I generally feel sorry for anyone I see carrying both. I certainly
wish I had or knew about this option at HP World 2000, where I was all too
often interrupted by less than urgent (and long distance) phone calls. In
any case, I welcome whatever light others have to shed on this, since
email-based notification seems like a popular and convenient means of
monitoring job and system status.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com