HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Glenn Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:22:42 -0500
With regard to the "pay for use" models of Parabon (and presumably United
Devices) Terry asked:

> How does one get "paid" for use of his/her PC?

Perhaps I was a bit oversimplifying things when I said that it uses a "pay
for use" approach.

Currently, the Parabon model doesn't pay direct payments, but they provide a
daily drawing for $100 cash from all participants who have completed at
least one "task" during the preceding 24 hours.  This cash can be paid
directly to you or sent to your charitable organization.  [Currently the
only charitable organization supported is the American Cancer Society.]

However, the business model that they are working with provides for a
transfer to a true "pay for use" service.  When they begin compensating
providers for computing power, you can choose to receive compensation
directly or to donate your earnings to a charitable organization.

The two drawbacks that I have been able to get from them on why they have
not yet implemented a true "pay for service" model is that they have not yet
established a sufficient network of charitable organizations, and they are
still negotiating the terms of payment with prospective commercial
customers.  Of course the terms that they eventually settle on will
determine how much and how often then can compensate you.  At the current
time, it looks as if the remuneration will run in the pennies to perhaps the
50 cent range for each task completed.

I can't speak for United Devices because I can't even get a simple email
reply from them.

Glenn Koster
Quintessential School Systems