HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Rick Gilligan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Gilligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:14:19 -0700
Bruce wrote:

> Also, fast memory is now under $500/GB. The low price of speed and
> storage mean that application design techniques should change
> substantially. I've been doing some pro bono work and it's been a real
> pleasure to concentrate on what the application ought to do, use the
> tools that make me most productive, and let the performance take care of
> itself. With hardware this fast and cheap, we really ought to be able to
> provide average users with much more functional applications much more
> quickly.

If only CSY could find a model to make money in such a market... we'd have
1GB memory module (pairs) from HP with our e3000 (hobbled) A-class server
which cost only $542.54 (like the current street price of the Kingston
KTH-LSVR/1024 modules which are apparently equivalent to the A5798A
modules from HP) and the processor would run at 440 MHz instead of 110
MHz...

I'd love to immagine the types of applications and how to develop them for
such a system (performance and price-wise) ... but I run into the reality
of the current (and recently revised) HP CSY pricing model and I almost
get depressed. I fully don't expect to see HP provide decent
price/performance (compared to other types of systems) in my (business)
lifetime, so I can't imagine these new types of applications existing on
the e3000.

Rick