HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Gibson Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gibson Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:31:33 -0500
Okay, so I talked to Bradmark.  They suggested that I make the maximum
really big, like near the limits.  I don't know what the limits are.  So I
just chose 6,000,000 and 5,000,000.  Got one set that didn't work out of the
first 30 (the first database of many).  Seems to be a limit on file size or
maximum blocks.  So I trimmed this one set a little bit - retry worked.

Now on to the next database  . . .

Gibson Nichols <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> We have been using DBGeneral (Bradmark) Automatic Capacity Management for
> years.  We recently upgraded the backup software (Orbit) to a new version.
> With the backup update we improved our JCL to use the "zerodown" feature.
> So far so good.  Happy users don't have to log on again after the backup.
>
> We noticed some messages in the backup listing.  Seems the backup now
needs
> to have logging running to backup the Image databases without creating the
> messages.  This was an unexpected problem.  When talking to Orbit they
seem
> to suggest that this is okay.  We can still restore any databases, just
have
> to remember to use a parameter that I can't remember (would also need to
> change documentation in places I have no control of).  So I changed the
JCL
> to keep logging running.
>
> Now, however, the DBGeneral Automatic Capacity Management option won't
work
> because it needs exclusive access to the databases.  I started looking
into
> the Dynamic Dataset Expansion.  Cool stuff.  I got a new version of the
> Bradmark software which helps set this up.  Started testing.
>
> DBGeneral Automatic Capacity Management won't work on a dataset which have
> been converted to use Dynamic Dataset Expansion.  Also running the Dynamic
> Expansion options in DBGeneral will update the capacity without checking
> see if the expansion is really needed (Automatic Capacity Management
> increased the capacity only if a configured criteria was met).
>
> So I'm faced with a conflict.  I can use DBGeneral Automatic Capacity
> Management which means I must get exclusive access or I can use Dynamic
> Dataset Expansion which means that I will fill the maximum capacity at
times
> thus requiring a smart (non-automated or customized to the specific
dataset)
> approach.
>
> Yeah, I know, make the maximum capacity real big.  But I can't guess how
big
> we will need the files to be.  Prior to this we didn't need to worry
because
> the Automatic Capacity Management would handle it.

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, etc *
*     please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html       *