HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:28:30 -0700
John Clogg said:

> Unfortunately, you can't remove volumes from a volume set.
> The only (safe,
> supported) way to accomplish this is:
> 1. Store the contents of the volume set.
> 2. VSCLOSE the volume set.
> 3. In VOLUTIL do a SCRATCHVOL on each volume in the set.
> 4. Use the NEWSET and NEWVOL commands in VOLUTIL to rebuild the set,
> omitting the volumes you wanted to free up.
> 5. Restore the files.

As I understood the original question, he wants to blow away the entire test
volume set (two drives) and add one drive to one existing volume set and one
to another existing volume set. This is not a problem, and is in fact
recommended for testing new drives before putting them into production. I
did this very thing over the last few days with four new disk drives on one
of our systems. Totally non-disruptive.

Now, if he wanted to just remove one drive from an existing mult-drive
volume set, then all your cautionary words apply.

John

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, etc *
*     please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html       *