HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:51:11 -0400
Paul,

I don't think your problem is related to the OV workstation. First, that
would not have affected the console which is hardwired to the system.
Second, the DTCs don't require communication with the OV workstation except
to receive the initial download when powered up. Of course if you run the
diagnostics on the OV PC then there is communication between the PC and the
DTC, but it is initiated by the OV workstation.

From what you described it sounds like maybe a disc drive wasn't responding.
The logon process is initiated but as soon as any disc access is required
the session backs up in the I/O queue.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio

"Paul H Christidis" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Our 969/220 got 'hung' sometime around midnight on Saturday.  Batch jobs
> would get submitted by our scheduler but never begin execution.  There was
> not much/any user activity on Sunday and thus no one noticed.  Then on
> Monday folks begun to complain about being 'stuck' just after entering
> their logon information, they begun getting informed that they were
already
> logged on and would not be allowed to establish another logon, etc..
>
> I came in and tried to logon at the console with the same results.  I
> finally had to reboot the system and, because of other pressures, did not
> take a memory dump.  The system came back up and since this weekend was
> month end/quarter we begun our full backup.   A couple of hours later we
> were back in business with no data loss.

<snip>

> In our environment the users connect to our HP3000 through 2 DTC72MXs that
> are under the OpenView DTCMGR control.  The DTCMGR software is executing
on
> a Windows 98 PC.  When I was re-booting the HP I noticed that the PC had a
> 'pop-up' window display, informing us about the time change that occurred
> last Sunday (I know its over a week ago, but if you don't need to go in
the
> computer room....) and it was still waiting for someone to 'click' the
"OK"
> button.
>
>  Is it possible that problems that we experienced were somehow related to
> the DTCMGR software being interrupted by this 'pop-up' window and not
> performing its normal tasks?

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, etc *
*     please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html       *