HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:44:36 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
I'm pretty sure that Telamon has a lovely product for this need. Telalert,
IIRC, no charge for MPE, but not free for Windows. I have no idea how it
integrates with OpenView & Co, but I bet it does.

Now, and I think I've already mentioned this recently, I have a couple of
processes, perl scripts, that use Net::SMTP to connect to our office email
server, and text message my cell phone at <cellphonenumber>@msg.myvzw.com or
some such, for the princely sum of $.02 per 120 char message. At that price,
it is so close to free that I use it pretty freely, sending one status
message no matter what, and another detailing any error. Again, at that
price, it's simply not worth any effort to monitor these processes any other
way, unless I have not received some message by a certain time. I wish I
could use it more freely with some other processes.

I would be very surprised if any cell phone, pager or messaging service
provider does not jump on this bandwagon reasonably quickly. I would also be
surprised if your current paging service does not offer something reasonable
and email-based, which could meet your current needs.

Of course, you have more than one option for generating such an email
directly from your 3000s or from Windows, and either sending it directly to
the target SMTP, or connecting to an internal email server and having it
send the message.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com