HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 1

From:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:39:33 -0700
DLTs are probably much more reliable.

I don't have experience with DDS-4s, which are supposed
to be much better than DDS-3s.

On older HP systems, you need a dedicated SCSI channel per drive
for DLTs.

New DLT drives are out that are slower, but much cheaper than
the DLT8000s, but use the same tape and 40gb uncompressed capacity.
(they write an incompatible format.)

If you have lots of highly compressable data bases,
the compression ratio may be more like 3-1 or even 4-1
if you data bases aren't real full. Thus you should
be able to fit a 30gb data base easily on a 12GB native capacity
DDS-3 tape, and certainly on a DDS-4 20GB native.

I didn't think HP supported the DDS-4 yet on HP3000s.

I can't get my systems to store anywhere near the DLT7000
maximum rate. I get about 4, 5 and 6mb a second on my
HP939, HP989 and HP979-200 respectively, with 1,2 and 3 SCSI
controllers for the discs, respectively. If I don't do the
interleave option on store, the speed goes down.

If wall clock time is not a major factor, a DDS-4 tape should hold
you for a while.