HP3000-L Archives

April 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:07:45 -0700
Barbara Burnett wrote:
> Nick wrote:
> > The sea level is rising, but that's not why beach houses fall in the
> ocean.
> > That's just the normal process of beach erosion.  The rise in the sea
> level
> > is less than an inch per decade.
> >
> >"Normal beach erosion".   The beech does not erode unless waves hit it.  he
> >waves are stronger if the sea level is rising.  This is not a temporary
> >thing.  They moved an old light house back a few hundred yards because of
> the >problem.  In any case, can we afford to gamble that there is no
> problem?

My understanding of beach erosion in Southern California is that it is
primarily caused by the construction of breakwaters and seawalls and other
manmade structures that have altered the natural ocean current flows, in
addition to the complete channelization of all rivers which has altered the
desposit of new silt & sand at the shoreline.

But probably the most direct cause of beach houses falling into the sea is that
people insist on building in inherently dynamic environments such as beaches or
on top of cliffs that aren't really suitable for safe building at all.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, etc *
*     please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html       *