SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:10:30 +1000
On Monday, April 16, 2001 11:07 PM, Viv (aka Krazy Kiwi) wrote:

> It was bad enuff when the Hauer's flew in ;-))

John and Vicky are going to feel right at home on the CAIVNEDFest.  They're
a lively, fun-loving couple with an advanced sense of humour!  :-)  (My only
regret is that they couldn't spend longer in Sydney and see it at it's very
best - like today with clear, blue skies and a flat calm sea that's just
begging to be dived!)  :-)

> .. but now nearly 7,000
> Americans have overtaken my quiet city :-)  Well, after enjoying
themselves
> in Sydney they will find the night life in Perth a tad boring.

Hopefully we relieved them of a goodly proportion of their pay while they
were visiting this side of the island! :-)

(snip)
> The USS Constellation is a sight to behold .. even though she is a year
> older than I ;-) she still looks great.

I think you both look good!  The difference being that the 'Connie' is
h-u-g-e! :-)

The only 'flat-top' that I ever served on was the 'Albion' - a
commando-carrier just flying choppers that apparently had the distinction,
(when it was used for fixed-wing aircraft), of being the first carrier to
land a jet.  It had a crew of about 750 and would have fitted neatly into
one small corner of the Constellation's flight deck!

It wasn't uncommon to walk down a passageway and see a Royal Marine looking
lost.  "You lost then, Royal?"  "As a matter of fact I am, Jack!"  "Bloody
good job!", was the usual helpful response before sliding quickly down a
ladder and out of punching range!  :-)

>  Knowing she cost $US400 million to
> build way back then .. boy she sure would be a neat wreck to dive on.

> I wonder what will happen to her on her retirement. Do you guys sink any
of
> your wrecks when they end their service or are they mainly salvaged for
> other purposes? I remember the fight we had on our hands with the federal
> government to get the Swan wreck in our state. They wanted to turn her in
> to razor blades :-(  Now she is serving another purpose - an artificial
> reef.

But think of the clean-up work before the environmental protection agency
would allow it to be sunk!  :-)

Strike