SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:13:24 -0400
It started with this recreational-diver guess and querry:

RF> Aren't ALL of the Amphiprions known as clownfishes?  They only wear
RF> different color and size scarfs around their neck.  :-)

Then Viv replied with a very informative and detailed follow-up, including

>There are 28 species of anemonefishes. 27 of them Amphiprion, 28th one is
>Premnas (spine-cheek).

>So, out of those 28 there are indeed a couple of CLOWNS ;-) The False Clown
>Anemonefish (Amphiprion ocellaris) & the true blue Clown Anemonefish
>(Amphiprion percula).

RF>>One point worth noting is that there is a distinct distinction between
RF>>the SCIENTIFIC classification (and naming) of fishes, and the common
RF>>RECREATIONAL names (which are often the same for different species).

>I guess we have just got lazy & call all the Amphiprions Clownfish, when
>there are really only 2 of em ..

RF> I resemble that remark!  :-)   But I'll check to see if authors of
RF> fish ID books make the same faux pas, perhaps to a lesser extent.

Later,
><snip of the kiwi shears>
RF>I'll be interested to check on a couple of the RECREATIONAL ones to
RF>see if fact they are that snooty (snotty?) <G> about only ONE of the
RF>27 Amphiprions is termed a "clownfish".
>
>Let us know .. Im curious also.

RF> It looks like it'll be early next week before I can make it there.

Here I am, in the Feeesh Aquarium in Choo Choo.

First, I looked at Paul Humann's new Reef Fish ID book (Galapagos),
and was surprised to find NO clownfish in the entire book!  No
lionfish either.  That skinny little book is definitely not worth
the price.

Then I pulled out Robert Myers' Micronesian Reef Fishes.  It's actually
much more scientific than recreational.  It had pictures and IDs of:

Amphiprion chrysopterus (2)
Amphiprion clarkii (2),
Amphiprion melanopus (1), and
Amphiprion periderion (1).

All fake, eh?  :-)  In the narrative part, the author noted that
Amphiprioninae (Anemoniefishes) is a subfamily of Pomacentridae
(Damselfishes).  In particular, "Members of this subfamily known
as anemonefishes or clownfishes, live in close association with
large sea anemones."

So, my initial UNEDUCATED guess wasn't too far off the mark.  :-)

In that discussion, I mentioned

RF> The fact that there are fishes that LOOK like other species and are
RF> known to be the "False" variant is fairly common in Fishdom also.  :-)
RF> So is in the Snakedom.  The extremely poisonous Coral snake and its
RF> harmless imitator comes to mind.  "Red between Black, friend of Jack;
RF> Red between Yellow can kill a Fellow."

I stopped by the Chattanooga Aquarium to see if they have any clownfishes.
None. One of the aquarium attendants were showing several MODELS (life-
like) of venomous snakes, I recognized immediately the "red between
yellow" coral snake.  But when I looked at a live one in a nearby tank,
it was the FAKE variety -- "red betwen black"!  :-)

This is a special week at the Choo Choo Aquarium.  The IMAX theatre is
showing 6 or 7 different aquatic film every DAY, including "Into the
Deep" (3D), "Galapagos" (3D), "The Living Sea", "Island of Sharks",
"Whale", "Dolphins".  I think I've seen all of them except "Into the
Deep" but I wasn't there at the right time, so even though I have free
passes to the theature, I haven't found TIME to watch any of them.  ;-)

The Feeesh Aquarium (as opposed to the Choo Choo Aquarium) is nearly
furnished.  The MAIN TANK now has 7 computers (not dive computers!),
3 PCs, 2 Macs and 2 laptops.  Mostly obsolete. :-)  Only ONE left in SC.
My MOVE has taken 5 months and 18 days, so far ... with no end in
sight.  :-))

-- Bob.