SCUBA-SE Archives

April 2001

From:
"J.M. Vitoux" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:08:40 +1300
Huw Porter wrote:

> From: "Reef Fish" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:58:03 -0400, Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> > >Sadly, agreed.  Discussing racist language is one thing, applying it in
> > >anger is completely diferent.
> >
> > I agree, but ONLY if the term is used in a racist way!
>
> But the *only* way to decide this is by it's effect on not only the
> recipient, but the entire audience.  As such it is only acceptable *between
> friends*, and not in anger.

You hit it right on. Even though Bob is correct in saying that in
the past he has been using "Frog" and "Grenouille" in a neutral
way, the current context is however totally different.

When Bob is using Frog as quoted below, especially in the context
of anger, I (and all those who did) am perfectly justified to
view those as slurs. God forbid if anyone on this list had
written those about Bob with anything even remotely connected to
his ethnic background. I can't begin to imagine the uproar. And
yes, I would have been the first to take the poster to task.

> I know only GOOD Frog I know is one Dr. Royon who had corresponded
 with me since the early days (pre-1990) of Scuba-L.

Unless Bob doesn't know any other French person, it is
derogatory.

>NOTHING much is passed by Frogs!

Slur in the context

>Let me repeat, you dispicable Frog!

Slur.

>Learn how to read English, you Frog!

Derogatory and intended as a slur

>Just because a J-M Frog without honor and without shame says so

Derogatory

>Besides, I don't like the ring of "Casting Pearls before Frogs".

Replacing Swines with Frogs (note the plural, he is talking about
the French as a whole). Slur.

Jean-Marc